2017 Open Sheep Shows
Entry Deadline Sep. 1st 2017
Registration is $5/sheep, and premiums will be paid as follows:
1st place – $25
2nd place – $20
3rd place – $15
4th place – $10
5th place – $8
6th place – $5
Premiums are paid for Classes: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 Only.
In 2017 the GSSB will be hosting a Northeast Regional Jacob Show and a National Romney Show. Please see separate page for the National Romney Show as there is a separate entry form and show information differs from the Open Sheep Show information provided on this page.
Open Sheep Shows will take place on both Saturday and Sunday. For more detailed information about the shows or show schedule, contact Reni at email@example.com.
This is an off-the-truck show. There will be sufficient pens at ringside for shows in progress, but you must remove your animals from those pens when you are finished with your show to allow others to use them. Any remaining pens will be available on a first come first serve basis with a 3 pen limit per farm. No bedding will be provided. There will be pen managers in the barn to help you find space.
We strongly recommend that you bring your own pens so the safety of your animals is guaranteed. Set up of your own pens will be in designated areas. Please follow the signs to the Exhibitor’s Entrance to the Vet Check before unloading animals. Thank you for your cooperation.
1. Sheep must be checked-in by 9:00 AM the day of their show. Veterinary check-in will be available at the Exhibitor’s Entrance Friday 5-7PM, Saturday 7-10AM, Sunday 8-10AM. You will receive a tag to display on your pen as proof that your animals have been inspected.
2. The entry fee is $5 per sheep per show up to the Friday of the week before the show (Sep. 1, 2017). You may pay by check or via PayPal. Entries can not be accepted once the Festival has begun. A sheep must be shown in an individual class to enter in the pair or group classes. There is no charge for the pair or group classes. Questions about receipt of registration/ payment should be directed to Joan Schnieber 908-319-0382 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Premiums and ribbons will be awarded for first through sixth place in Classes 1 through 11 (ribbons only for Classes 12 through 18). The premiums are as follows: 1st place – $25 ; 2nd place – $20 ; 3rd place – $15 ; 4th place – $10 ; 5th place – $8 ; and 6th place – $5. Champion and reserve rosettes will also be given. Premiums will be mailed.
4. Exhibitors may show up to 4 sheep per class.
5. Any breed having 4 breeders and 20 sheep will be given their own show. Breed show will be determined on the basis of entries received.
6. All animals must be free from infectious and contagious diseases. Sheep must be accompanied by a Health Certificate dated within 90 days of the festival for NJ residents and 30 days for out-of-state participants. In addition, animals will be inspected by a veterinarian at the show grounds.
7. Because of the Scrapie program, all sheep must be tagged with official identification.
8. Bring your own pens, bedding, hay, buckets, feed and halters.
9. Sheep are released after their show.
|Meat Sheep Show|
|Wool Sheep Show|
|Classic Sheep Show||G||any classic breeds except Jacobs (e.g., Icelandic, Shetland, Finn)||No show in 2017|
|Jacob Breed Show||H||Northeast Regional Show||Bob May|
|Shetland Breed Show||I||Judi Lehrhaupt|
|Romney Breed Show||National Show – Separate entry form, divisions, classes and premiums. Please do not use information on this page, instead go to page for Romney show info.||Ron Andress|
|Lincoln Breed Show||K||no pre-organized show planned|
|Baby Doll Breed Show||L||Show on Sunday||Reni & Kevin Melvin|
|Gotland Breed Show||M||no pre-organized show planned||Shelley Nussbaum|
|Navajo Churro Breed Show||N||no pre-organized show planned||Rebecca Gunther (908) 369-4088|
|Commercial Sheep Breeds/ Grade Show
Note: Premiums & Ribbons Awarded for Classes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11;
Ribbons Only (no Premiums) for Pair Classes and Classes 14 through 18
- Aged rams (2 to 4 years old)
- Pair of aged rams
- Yearling rams
- Pair of yearling rams
- Ram lambs
- Pair of ram lambs
- Aged ewes (2 to 8 years old)
- Pair of aged ewes
- Yearling ewes
- Pair of yearling ewes
- Ewe lambs
- Pair of ewe lambs
- Pair of lambs (can be mixed or single sex)
- Get of sire (4 sheep any age or sex sired by the same ram)
- Dam and lamb (1 lamb either sex with its mother)
- Breeder’s flock (2 yearling ewes, 2 ewe lambs, and 1 ram any age, all bred & owned by the exhibitor)
- Junior showmanship (exhibitor under 18 with any sheep)
- Best fleece (wool and classic shows only)
|Please select proper range of entries from the 4 groups below, then click within that dropdown to select the correct number of entries.
[Apologies….Pay Pal limitation – only 10 choices per dropdown are allowed].